Home Field Red Blend BBQ Sauce
Summer is just around the corner which is getting us in the grilling mood. Check out Chef Heidi James’ Home Field Red BBQ Sauce. You will want this on hand this summer to add to any impromptu backyard BBQ. Sauce up pork or beef ribs, chicken or add as the base to a BBQ sauce pizza. The possibilities are endless!
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 ½ Cups Home Field Red Blend
- 1 ½ Cups Tomato Sauce
- ⅓ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 3 Tbsp. Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Looking for something vegetarian? Add the Home Field BBQ Sauce as a pizza sauce!
1. Heat a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until it shimmers and glides around the bottom of the pot when moved.
2. Add your onions (you should hear a sizzle). Saute your onions in the bottom of the pot over medium-high heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir your onions often, but also leave to sit and char between stirs. If your onions look too dry, add a touch more oil. We want the onions to darken slightly but not burn.
3. Once the onions have reached a nice caramel color, add the garlic. Turn the heat down to medium and saute the garlic for about one minute.
4. Add the smoked paprika and coat the onions and garlic. Then, add in the tomato paste, also making sure to coat the vegetables.
5. Add the Home Field- using a whisk. Reduce by half over medium-high heat.
6. After the wine has reduced, add the remaining ingredients excluding the salt and pepper.
7. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Grab a wine glass and pour yourself some of the Home Field because the sauce is complete!
Watch the Home Field Story here: